In this article, we are going to tell you about how to link a Hotmail account to your Gmail account so you can check both accounts from within Gmail rather than having to go to https://hotmail-itaccedi.website, Live.com, or Outlook.com to check your Hotmail.
You will be able to open your Gmail account and view each of your email accounts there in one place. Besides, each email will be labeled so you will know to which account the email was sent. You will even be able to reply using the email account of your choice. But before we can link a Hotmail account to Gmail, we need to do a little preparatory work in Hotmail.
- Open a browser and sign in to your Hotmail account.
- From the top right corner, click the Settings icon.
- From the drop-down list that appears, click options.
- From the options menu, find and click connect devices and apps with POP.
- POP, which is short for post office protocol, is simply a method in which email messages are moved from a mail server to an email client such as Hotmail or Gmail.
- By default, this is turned off to provide extra security. If unused, click the radio button next to enable. Leave the radio button checked.
- Now select – Don’t let devices and apps delete messages and then click Save.
- Leave Hotmail open and then sign in to your Gmail account.
- Once Gmail is open, click the Settings icon in the upper right and then click Settings from the drop-down list.
- On top, there are several areas to choose from. Click on Accounts and Import to continue.
- Under accounts and import, we will focus on the section: Check mail from other accounts (using POP3). Click add a POP3 mail account you own to continue.
- In the box that appears, enter your Hotmail address, and click Next Step.
- In the following box, the username is prefilled.
- Type in your password the pop server pop3.live.com and port 995 are also prefilled.
- There are four options below:
- Leave a copy of retrieved messages on the server should be checked if you want to leave your email on the Microsoft servers otherwise your email will be uploaded to the Google Gmail servers and deleted from the Microsoft Hotmail servers.
- Always use a secure connection SSL when retrieving mail is checked by default this keeps the information inside your email protected when retrieved so keep this checked unless an error prevents you from doing so.
- Label incoming messages put a label in front of each email so you can see which account the email was sent to.
- Archive incoming messages upload your email but do not show it in the inbox to see if you would select All Mail from the folder list on the left under the inbox folder.
- Once all the information is correct click Add Account to continue.
- If you get an error message, try checking your Hotmail account to see if you received an email about the unusual sign-in activity. If you did, open the email, and click review recent activity, review the information, and if everything looks ok click this was me.
- Return to Gmail, reenter your password, and then click Add Account.
- The next box that appears, asks if you would like to be able to send email using your Hotmail account name. Leave the radio button next to yes, select, and click the next step.
- Next, verify that the name shown in the box is correct and uncheck the box next to treat as an alias we won’t discuss treat as alias here, but if you would like to know more about it click to learn more. Click the next step to continue.
- In the final setup box, we will configure how mail is sent.
- The SMTP server, which sends an email, is prefilled along with your username. If needed, enter your password.
- We will make one change, click the drop-down to change from port 25 to port 587. Without a long-winded explanation, suffice it to say that using port 587 with TLS is generally preferable for security reasons and sometimes port 25 is blocked by Internet service providers or ISPs.
- Leave the radio button next to secured connection using TLS selected and click Add Account.
- Once the credentials are checked, the next step is to verify that it’s okay to send mail using your Hotmail address go back to Hotmail.com and open the verification email you can copy the verification code and paste it in the Gmail box but it’s probably easier to just click the link in the email. When you click the verification link, a new tab will open showing that we may now send mail using our Hotmail address.
- Exit Hotmail and return to Gmail. Click the close window to complete the setup.
The Hotmail address is now added to Gmail and we can send emails using our Hotmail address. If we click on the inbox, we can see that the Hotmail email now appears in Gmail. Also, notice that each email is labeled, so we know which email was sent to our Hotmail account and which was sent to our Gmail account.
Now for testing, click on compose and note the new message box where it says From. If we click the drop-down arrow, notice that you can choose which email address to send from. In this article, we reviewed how to link a Hotmail account to your Gmail account so you can check both accounts from within Gmail.